Florida is an absolute paradise, a place where beaches and sunshine make for glorious days. And with a cluster of theme parks tucked in the center of the state, it’s a playground for all ages.
But don’t miss out on one of the places that make Florida so special – St. Augustine! It’s the oldest city in America, founded in 1565, and within it, you’ll find historic relics amid stunning beaches, plenty of watersports, museums, shopping, dining, and experiences that are perfect for families or a romantic escape.
If you’re looking for a Florida vacation that has it all, make your destination St. Augustine. It’s got miles of beaches, plus it’s close enough to other popular attractions in the state, making it an ideal retreat that takes you back in time without compromising on all the luxuries you desire.
Reasons to Visit St. Augustine, FL
St. Augustine is a must-see Florida destination. You’ll find so much to do in this beautiful and historic town, you may just change your plans and stay a little longer. Here’s why you’re going to love it!
1. Miles and miles of beaches! If you’re coming to Florida for beaches, you might be disappointed down south where the skyscrapers tower over the sands and impede on your plans to tan. In St. Augustine, there are 42 miles of unobstructed beaches for you to enjoy any way you like.
2. Incredible history! As the oldest city in America, St. Augustine is brimming with history. You don’t need to be a history buff to appreciate this place and all its amazing landmarks.
3. So much to see! All that history means you have no shortage of things to fill your itinerary with, like seeing the Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse or Castillo de San Marcos, a stunning fort with views of Matanzas Bay.
4. Drink from the Fountain of Youth! Ponce de Leon’s legendary Fountain of Youth is here. Maybe you shouldn’t give up your favorite skin creams, but it can’t hurt to try out his secrets, right?
5. Free live music! St. Augustine is a laid-back place where you can waft along and discover all kinds of free live music any time you’re in the historic district, which goes great with all the food.
6. Fantastic restaurants and cafes! St. Augustine is known for having a well-rounded variety of eateries. From upscale to casual plus cozy cafes, you’ll be spoiled for choice!
7. Sublime sunsets! It might be on the east coast, but the sunset over the Matanzas River is the stuff dreams are made of.
8. Unique boutiques! Sure, you can go to Disney in the center of the state and load up on overpriced souvenirs, but here, you’ll find one-of-a-kind treasures that make for spectacular mementos of your trip.
9. Lots of free activities! St. Augustine is the kind of place where you don’t have to spend all your money to enjoy your time. There are free ferry boat rides at Fort Matanzas, tours and tastings at the San Sebastian Winery, and the historic church tour of the Mission Nombre de Dios which was once led in 1565 by Father Francisco Lopez.
Things to do in St. Augustine, FL
America’s oldest city definitely has something old and something new for everyone to enjoy. You’ll find many ways to spend your days here. The beach is an obvious must, but there are some historic sites you shouldn’t miss.
Castillo de San Marcos is an old fort with a drawbridge and gun deck where you can take your time on a self-guided tour. There’s the Fountain of Youth, the Oldest Wooden Schoolhouse, the Old Jain, and the Colonial Quarter, the last of which is highly-entertaining due to the costumed craftsmen that aptly recreate the authentic experience.
For museums, you’ve simply got to see the Lightner Museum, a former hotel from the 1800s featuring Victorian-era artifacts, musical instruments, and other incredible exhibits. St Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum is another one to see, where you get to climb up the black and white striped lighthouse that’s been standing there as a beacon since 1875. There’s a shipyard playground the kids will love, and the museum is purely fascinating. The St. Augustine Pirate & Treasure Museum is an interactive museum that will delight landlubbers and those with sea-legs alike.
Taste something special at the San Sebastian Winery with free tours and tastings. The St. Augustine Distillery is another place adults will love. Shopping on Saint George Street is another great way to spend the day. And no matter who you’re with, the food can’t be beat, especially the seafood. Be sure to try all the fantastic local places to really get a taste of what this old town is all about.
With the kids? Don’t miss Adventure Landing for fun rides and good times. There are mini-golf places, the St. Augustine Alligator Farm, Marineland Dolphin Adventure, kid-friendly pirate tours, and so much more to do and see.
So why aren’t you here yet? Come to St. Augustine and see what you’ve been missing!