Want to get away from it all when you visit Florida? Then take a detour over to Mount Dora. This charming little town has a small population with a big and friendly atmosphere that will make you want to stay and play.
With calm streets idle for strolling, you’ll find antique shops to pique your curiosity, divine restaurants and cafes, and historic flair, unlike any other Floridian city. Museums and galleries give you much to explore, though if you want to get in touch with nature, you can catch a boat ride on Lake Dora and try your luck with bass fishing or other water sports.
It’s the perfect place for a relaxing day with family or an intimate escape for lovers. With waterside restaurants and captivating annual festivals, there’s something for everyone to enjoy here. Mount Dora was founded in 1880 and continues to uphold its original quaint feel while blending seamlessly with the modern world. Stop by and get a taste of this small-town hometown today!
Reasons to Visit Mount Dora, FL
Mount Dora is a refreshing stop for any Florida itinerary. Here’s why you should make the time to stop by!
1. Best bass fishing! Mount Dora is revered for being one of the best places in the world for bass fishing.
2. Beautiful Lake Dora! You don’t have to like fishing to love the lake here. You can enjoy the view from one of the many lakeside restaurants or partake in other watersports.
3. Bustling downtown! There are more than 20 restaurants in a 3-block radius in Mount Dora’s downtown. You’re sure to find something to satisfy your appetite here!
4. Lots of eclectic shopping! Antique shops and other charming boutiques await. Shop local here and find unique gifts to take back home.
5. Festivals! Mount Dora is known as the festival city in Florida. There’s an event just about every month so stop in and see what’s going down from the Blueberry Festival to the Seafood Festival, and everything in between.
6. Christmas lights! Visiting Florida in December? Then don’t miss Mount Dora. The lights here are some of the most beautiful in the entire state!
7. Plenty of activities! Get out and experience Florida’s gorgeous environment by enjoying a kayak rental, hopping on a charter boat or pontoon, or even renting bicycles to ride along the miles of trails. There’s so much to explore!
8. Family fun! Mount Dora is wonderful for families. Bring the kids and enjoy ice cream and a walk around the city. There’s also a mini-golf attraction everyone will love.
9. Romantic! Grab your sweetheart and stop in one of the many cafes for coffee and pastries.
10. Beautiful sunset! You can get a perfect sunset view from the Lakeside Inn and watch the bright orange sun virtually sink into the lake.
11. Golf! Enjoy a quiet golfing vacation with 3 golf courses in Mount Dora!
Things to do in Mount Dora, FL
They say Mount Dora is “Someplace Special,” and truly, it is. With over 100 years of history, you’ll love its quaint small-town charm. Friendly faces, beautiful scenes, delightful restaurants, unique places to shop, and festivals almost every month of the year make it Central Florida’s hidden gem.
If you want to live on the edge, try seeing Lake Dora by air, land, and sea. You can fly abroad a seaplane, take a boat, and then hop on the Royal Palm Railway for the experience of a lifetime. But if you rather keep a more relaxed vibe, check out Mount Dora Live, where there are always live musical events at Elizabeth Evans Park or the Mount Dora Community Building.
Plus, staying in Mount Dora is something to do in and of itself. There are many cozy bed and breakfast inns all around the highly-walkable downtown area. You’ll be treated to true Floridian hospitality that you won’t get in bigger cities.
Check out the Dora Canal with towering cypress trees, where you’ll see Florida’s stunning wildlife up close and personal. Ospreys, herons, and egrets all take flight here. Charter a boat to waft down the canal and see the Florida you don’t see at the theme parks.
Renninger’s Vintage Antique Center & Farmer’s Flea Market is a great place to stop on weekends to find some great deals on authentic antiques. The Modernism Museum and the Mount Dora Museum of Speed are great stops to make too. With plenty of parks, a butterfly garden, and ease of walkability, Mount Dora is the perfect stop in or out of your journey to the theme parks in Orlando. You can hop on the 429 to get to Disney with ease from there and not miss out on a thing!